Rally for a Poverty Free BC
Following a week of action organized by the BC Federation of Labour and the BC Poverty Reduction Coalition, a RALLY will take place.
Poverty and inequality facts
• BC is the only province in Canada without a poverty reduction plan.
• There are more than 700,000 British Columbians living in poverty.
• 500,000 BC workers earn poverty wages, less than $15 per hour
• One in five children in BC live in poverty.
• Income assistance rates for individuals have been frozen at $610 per month by the BC Liberals for the last 11 years.
• Failing to address poverty costs BC an estimated $8-9 billion per year in costs like health care, policing, and lost economic opportunities.
• A poverty reduction plan includes improvements to wages, welfare, housing, childcare, education, health and reducing barriers for members of equity seeking groups.
Event Date: Saturday, March 4, 2017
Event Time: Noon
Event Location: Vancouver Library Square, 350 West Georgia, Vancouver, BC